Monday, April 5, 2010

Chopin: Waltzes (Ott)



Chopin: Waltzes (complete)
Alice Sara Ott, piano
Deutsche Grammophon 477 8095 | Stereo DDD

So I'm not even going to lie to you about this. Yeah, I was pretty impressed with Alice Sara Ott's Liszt Transcendental Etudes, her debut on disc. She wasn't on the Arrau/Gekic/Cziffra level, but she was good. But the main reason I ended up buying this disc is... because as far as looks go, I find her to be the bee's knees. Yes, dear reader--sheer animal desire drove me to buy the disc at hand. I was sitting on the proverbial fence about buying this disc, but her looks won me over. Thank you DG marketing team! But don't stop and just admire her pretty pic in her waify, hipster Red Riding Hood garb on the cover. Take a look inside the booklet and you'll find plenty more glamour shots of Ms. Ott with a scant, puff "interview" that does insult to the name "liner notes." A rambling, cutesy little thing that tells you nothing about Chopin and makes Ott sound like a clueless ditz. But she is a cutie, no doubt about it. But what of this recital? Well...

I own at least some 20 to 30-odd Chopin waltz recitals. This may be one of the very worst I've ever heard from a major artist and label. Had you never heard what these pieces were called, you'd hardly believe they were waltzes as they barely dance at all. Galumph about is more like it. Ott's perverse rubato and leaden tone must be heard to be believed. I'm not at all against a more romantic approach to these gems. Cortot's recital is numbered among my favorites. But what sounds magical and sparkling in Cortot's hands sounds lumbering and mannered here. The famous opening fanfare of the E-flat waltz sounds sounds as if the waltzers at this particular salon imbibed the champagne and absinthe a bit too generously. Another pirouette and these dancers will spin themselves away into a drunken stupor. Yes, not everything is so bad. She does a fine stab at the A minor waltz. But the highpoints, modest as they are, cannot compensate for this recital's general mediocrity. A portentious ritardando and a sudden accelerando every few bars does not romantic pianism a la grand manière make. After listening to all this herky jerky, stop-and-go routine, I was fumbling around my medicine cabinet for some Alka-Seltzer to stave off the motion sickness.

As I said, Chopin waltz recitals can be found a-plenty. My personal favorites are Anda, Anievas, Lipatti, Cortot, Tharaud, Darré, Brailowsky, and Rubinstein's 1950's era set. You'll have your own favorites, I'm sure. Whatever they are, stick to those ones and don't bother with Ott. Yes, I've uploaded it, but you'd best toss this turkey. Don't tell me I didn't warn you.

13 comments:

  1. http://www.mediafire.com/?miebfn5zhtz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias hermoso disco.
    Sergio
    Santiago de Chile

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you, I was able to download this album without "sitting on the fence" as you did, and without plunking down my hard-earned cash. I looked forward to viewing the album "art", (admittedly the most tempting part of the issue) but unfortunately, you didn't include it. As for the performances ... I agree with you: WAY too much rubatto. But since she looks so delightful, I forgive her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It´s not that there is way too much rubato, it's rubato played in the wrong way!

      Delete
  5. @Bill

    Glad I helped you in your decision to not buy this disc. I have a scanner at my office. Give me a few days and I'll scan the liner notes and upload them. She is a fetching little thing; doubly so since I have a particular weakness for brunettes. But I find it very troubling that the classical labels have to depend so much on "sex appeal" to meet their sales quota. Aren't there any ugly musicians these days?

    @Anon

    No, you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shame - she records the manuscript versions of some of the pieces published by Fontana, rather than Fontana's 'performing' versions, which makes it a welcome disc. But the performance is just not up to it. There are far better young performers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one AFTER the later post about Bruckner 9 conducted by Nezet-Seguin...and almost fell off my chair. Even though I was prepared for "the truth even if it hurts" kind of review, I would have expected the serious kind that N-S got.

    What a surprise, and what a delight!

    I must admit that almost before I had finished reading, I did a Google search for Alice Sara Ott...and didn't even LOOK at the Web search results. Went straight to IMAGES!

    That "waify, hipster Red Riding Hood garb" you mention, does appear in a disproportionate number of the images. But she DOES look good in it. Come to think of it, she would probably look good in anything. The one that appealed to me the most, however, was the most casual. Girl sitting in front of (not at) piano with a knit top and light-blue denim jeans.

    Enough...now to listen a bit, once the download is finished. Even if it goes to the Recycle Bin, I'll still be waiting for the liner notes!!!

    Now I have to go and see if the tag, "SEX SELLS", leads to any more Problembar posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, she's a peach. Looks great in anything and I dare venture to say she may look great without anything. I saw the pic you mentioned. There are videos of her in the same outfit too.

    Not quite finished as a pianist, but she is very attractive. The classical music recording companies have been working overtime to persuade my groin to make purchases on my behalf. They didn't get to me for awhile as most of these girls were blondes. And this particular gentleman prefers brunettes. Or women with darker features in general. Anyway, take Lisa de la Salle, for example. There's another pianist who was being pushed on the prospective buyer as just another talented hunk of meat. Not my cup of tea as far as looks and certainly not as a musician. If you haven't, you must read the liner notes for her album of concertos by Liszt, Shostakovich, and Prokofieff. The "appreciation" written by her manager or photographer (I forget which) is pretty creepy. But they found Ott and her raven locks--and got me. Damn you, Universal Music!

    Using sex to sell classical music is nothing new. But now it seems it's the only way to get a musician heard these days. Unless you're some kind of babezilla or hunkasaurus, your likelihood of having a career as a soloist or recording artist is zero. Whatever happened to ugly musicians? Can you imagine a Klemperer making it today? Or Elly Ney? Ernestine Schumann-Heink?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid that Deutsche Grammophon is the champion on this kind of editions. Very sad.

    Thank you very much for your detailed report.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems I'm the only person who actually likes her interpretations - her charming smile, too, admittedly. I prefer them compared to Rubinstein's, the only other set I own. Never could listen to them more than 10 minutes, whereas this album rotates and rotates ... If you want to dance to your waltzes, listen to Strauss. Chopin is for dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She turned in possibly the worst Grieg concerto ever at the Proms last year. There were strange thumping noises in the first movement cadenza and an acquaintance who was in the hall confirmed my suspicion that she was stamping. Th encore of La Campanella was no better.

    Say what you like about Nezet-Seguin, he is a serious musician with real talent.

    Ms. Ott would appear to be "Piano Barbie".

    ReplyDelete